Hello, Sovryn community.
I would like to propose implementing a decentralized peer-to-peer reward program to express gratitude to outstanding Sovryn community contributors, no matter if they are part of the core team or not.
The initial idea for this Sovryn Improvement Proposal (SIP) was born from my personal experiences with an open-source company I work for, while the drive to make this proposal was forged from my own onboarding experience and contributing to the community for two months.
This SIP should foster the spiritual growth of a Sovryn Mutant (in the form of building the esprit-de-corps and motivation to treat your colleagues well), and allow us to give shout-outs to people who did any combination of the below:
- Helped us improve
- Did something marvelous for the project,
- Went the extra mile in addition to their regular work hours and responsibilities
- Remained calm, supportive, and team-spirited even when pushed towards the edge of their capabilities
Each Sovryn member on the Sovryn payroll would be granted several tokens of a certain value. The token implementation and its value in USD is yet to be determined, but as an example, let’s use SOV tokens at a price of 10 US dollars.
These tokens would be sent to Sovryn Mutants with their salaries. The tokens, however, would not create anything beneficial for their owners yet. The liquid value of the tokens would only be activated during their second transaction. Thus, it would provide the targeted person with benefits matchable with tokens that are currently staked. That is to say, they would automatically turn into vesting tokens for a dedicated amount of time (such as two months, for example), providing voting power and income generation for the receiver.
Getting an appreciative pat on the shoulder or giving credit during a meeting is a fantastic experience and a mark of a healthy and prosperous community. Sending “thank you” tokens to somebody would be an extension of this experience.
All Sovryn contributors (part of the Sovryn payroll) would be granted a token of gratitude designed to make other people happy, motivated, appreciated, and sovereign. This token would have no other purpose or value until it is given to somebody else.
Sometimes, even 5 minutes of somebody else’s time saves you hours of work and research. Other times, somebody overstretched their working hours to make a deadline happen at the expense of their own comfort. And on occasion, somebody extends a helping hand to those outside their designated team. None of these should be taken for granted. For instance, if a community manager fixes an out-of-date doc, or an overworked COO helps with providing technical support in the Discord channel, you might like to thank them with more than just words.
I cannot, of course, speak for all of us, but I am confident in saying that we all constantly have our plates full, and we are all doing the best we can for this project to succeed and evolve into something truly special. Together, we’re making the world a better place where people can be kinder to one another. But let me ask you: “Why not start doing that right here, right now, with us?”
As a firm believer in the Golden Rule of reciprocity and a psychology enthusiast, I am sure that motivating people and helping them get better is one of the best things a human being could experience; and it is something that gives our life a purpose and happiness.
In addition to doing good purely for goodness sake, most people are willing to help even more if doing so benefits them back somehow, too. In this proposal, 1-10% of the amount sent would be added to the donor address with the same effects as the gifted person. Help and you will be helped. Appreciate others, and people will appreciate you - and if your gratitude is not reciprocated by the people, it will at least be reciprocated by the platform. Even though it may be a small one-time amount, imagine being rewarded and being active in rewarding others like that over and over for more than 5 years, especially if the price of the token appreciates over time.
Using this reward system:
- A team member can express gratitude for another team member or a community member.
- A manager can appreciate a content creator, such as an artist or a YouTuber, for their activities tied to the good of the platform.
- New members can appreciate their mentors or onboarding buddies.
- A potential developer can be rewarded for their early contribution and invited for further cooperation.
This also presents the opportunity for those who are not Sovryn participants yet to interact with the platform for the first time. If they help a Sovryn member and receive a SHHAP reward for their efforts, it may motivate them to interact with the platform, read the Wiki, install and set up a wallet, and engage with the Sovryn ecosystem to claim their reward. Therefore, it is also a good approach to enhance the number of Sovryn users.
By appreciating others we:
- Promote better working relationships
- Prevent burnout syndrome
- Recognize the hard work that goes into the platform
- Motivate people to contribute more frequently
- Incentivize self-improvement
- Help others in reaching the finish line that may be beyond their capabilities, and thus improve the ecosystem as a whole
At Sovryn, our culture, ideas, and hard work play a huge part in what makes us successful as a project today, even in its Alpha phase. Nevertheless, our culture does not simply exist in the walls or the furniture - it depends on our people and the behaviors we demonstrate. Our Sovryn competencies define the behaviors that inform the culture we participate in. So by encouraging and rewarding these behaviors in each other, we are continuously reinforcing and strengthening the culture that makes us so successful.
- Connect - Connect with other people to create a business or other collaborative opportunities
- Extend trust - Help others
- Be transparent -
- Help to spread awareness about the project
- Provide constructive feedback
- Collaborate - collaborate between the teams
- Promote meritocracy - Reward those who deserve it the most, as well as those who recognize and support meritocratic culture
- Crucial contribution - Save the day
- Champion of the Circle - Contribute something amazing
- Customer Focus - Appreciate the Wiki docs or technical support soldiers
All Sovryn contributors on the Sovryn payroll can submit a reward nomination. This could be done by:
- Using the Sovryn app
All Sovryn contributors are eligible to receive rewards. However, as a “come and claim” incentive, rewards could also be deposited to the address of any contributor to the Sovryn ecosystem or a community member who made a greater effort for the common good.
Each associate is allocated a monthly point budget (displayed on your individual Portfolio page) to reward your peers with a limit of two people per month.
- One reward, one address, one transaction.
To create an element of a choice, but at the same time to preserve the spirit of competition.
- To be on the Sovryn payroll and obtain at least one salary.
- Next month with their next salary, if and only if they spent their previous reward tokens.
This depends on the technical implementation but would be a great feature that would enhance the whole thing.
- Option 1 - Using Discord bot
- Option 2 - Have a message box on the dapp (but I am not sure if users want to connect their emails to their addresses…)
The thank you message could be in this format:
tItem -> Collaborate * Required Description of Achievement: (description) * “Saving my ass during the community call” * Required Message for the nominee: (message) * Optional - “Thank you for helping me during these times. Your quick and kind reaction was a nice showcase of kindness, professionalism, and humanity :)”
Again, from the psychological perspective, it feels good to reward and also to be rewarded. But on top of that, a simple counter would also be applied to count how many rewards you have given or been awarded - to foster the growth of this behavior.
For example, if a user grants somebody a reward 10 times, they will get a rank - similar to the achievement system in online gaming or labels on the Discord. If a user is being rewarded more than 5 times, they can also obtain an NFT token, which can act as a coupon for Sovryn goods or could be exchanged for artist craftwork, such as a personalized animated profile picture.
NFT as an additional benefit to reward tokens Gimp was rewarded 100 times already -> He will be provided with a special NFT that can be used as a coupon on the Sovryn store or exchanged for a cool profile picture - made by Sovryn artists. On top of that, he also received the Discord label “Champion” :)
Finally, we could use our Sovryn web pages to display the current ladder, which would be built from points obtained for participating in the protocol in the following way:
Reward obtained - This grants the receiver with 3 points
Reward distributed - This grants the donor with 2 points
To be ranked and mentioned on a ladder could motivate people not motivated by money. Alternatively, this could not be a motivational perk, but just a nice feature on our website or app to show how great this community is and to demonstrate that we appreciate being fair and respectful to others.
What needs to be decided:
A Smart contract implementation - Designed by Ororo
So, what’s to stop somebody from sending these tokens to another address they own?
- Some kind of address list of team members and list of potential receivers (aka YouTubers or new developers)?
USD valuation of the reward tokens/amount of SOV tokens
Their vesting period and potential additional effects
Distribution and a possibility to say thank you for doing this and that (tagging on the Discord or a text box in the app, for example)
The following section describes the technical implementation of this idea into the Sovryn ecosystem using the existing smart contract solution. - Written by Ororo
The reward allocation mechanism could be handled by a simple smart contract, which contains:
- A list of team member addresses and names
- A list of potential receiver addresses and names (with team members being eligible as receivers by default)
- A monthly SOV allocation limit per team member, which allows allocation to X receivers.
- A smart contract rule that will send the reward tokens to a team member only if they participated in the previous round and depleted the given amount completely.
These funds would be sent to the LockedSOV contract where the receiver can exchange them for vested SOV at any time on the Rewards interface of the Sovryn dApp.
At the end of each month, the amount of distributable SOV is restored to the monthly allocation limit.
This smart contract would require an interface, which would show your available allocation and a list of potential receivers, which allows you to reward someone with a simple click. There would also need to be a simple process to add a receiver to the list - for example, adding a community member who created a stunning Sovryn-themed artwork. Preferably, this would include the contact of that receiver (Twitter handle/discord username, etc.) to verify the team member is gifting to a legitimate community/team member - and not themselves.
It might not need to be a SIP if no new funding needs to be allocated to develop it. However, if new funds are needed, then I think this would be a Finance track SIP, and will need to specify who will receive the funds and manage the project to ensure it is delivered.
You will also want to confirm that you have buy-in from the team members who will be helping to build the project, or else specify in the SIP that you will need to use the funds to hire someone to work on this.
The list of community suggestions (this is where you, the reader, come in!)
- 1 - The name of the protocol was changed to Sovryn Helping Hands Love & Appreciation Protocol (SHHLAP)
- 2 - ExiledSurfer propose GitCoin NFT integration
- 3 - Ororo propose to make this a Sovrython challenge
- 4 - It will likely use the same Identity integration Sovryn wants to use for delegates too
- 5 - Unikum wants to raise the number of possible monthly receivers to match the current number of Circles
End of Q3, 2021
All objects or numbers mentioned in this proposal can be tuned to match the consensus voice of the community.
Thank you for contributing to the Sovryn ecosystem and cultivating our unique culture at Sovryn.
P.S - Thank you, Gimp, for the additional proofread, and thank you, Ororo, for the description of the smart contract implementation- You guys, stay awesome!